The healthiest tortilla soup ever! We baked the tortilla strips instead of deep frying, that way we are cutting down the amount of fats that we are consuming. Enjoy this traditional Mexican dish for lunch or dinner, with friends or by yourself, with avocado on top or maybe just some chopped cilantro.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 1/2 cup
- 8 corn tortilla, cut into thin strips
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 guajillo chili, without seeds and no stem
- 1 chipotle chili, without seeds and no stem
- 1 morita chili, without seeds and no stem
- 1 pasilla chili, without seeds and no stem
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
To garnish (optional):
- Baked tortilla stripes, avocado slices, chopped cilantro.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut tortillas into strips.
- Place corn tortillas strips on a baking sheet, sprinkle with a little oil and bake until crispy. About 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, roast tomatoes, garlic, onion and chilies until lightly brown. Blend with broth (strain optional).
- Transfer the sauce to a pot with oil and cook for 2 minutes, reduce heat and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Adjust texture with broth (add more broth to get desired consistence).
- Boil over low heat, rectify seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve, in a bowl add a little of the baked tortillas on the bottom, cover with the soup and decorate with tortilla stripes, avocado and chopped cilantro.