Healthy energy bars with all-natural ingredients. Perfect for breakfast or as a delicious and crunchy snack for all the family.
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 4 tablespoons brown rice flour or coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons finely ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates, quartered
- 1 organic egg or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 4 tbsp warm water)
- 1 tbs monk fruit or ½ tsp monk fruit extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet.
- Spread the pecans in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and toast for 7 to 10 minutes, until aromatic and slightly browned. Watch them carefully, as they can burn easily. Repeat this process for the almonds. Turn down the oven to 325°F.
- Combine the flour, flaxseeds, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a food processor and process for 5 seconds to combine. Add the pecans and almonds and pulse 5 times to coarsely chop the nuts. Add the coconut, dates and pulse 10 to 15 times, until the mixture is well chopped but still coarse.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg or the flax egg and monk fruit together until thoroughly combined. Add the nut mixture and use your hands to mix thoroughly, being sure to separate any clumps. Spread the mixture in the oiled baking pan in an even layer and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and golden brown; don’t overbake, or the bars will be too dry. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then cut into 25 squares. Leave the bars in the pan until completely cool so they’ll hold together when you remove them.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds or flax seeds when mixing at the end.
- Add 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut when mixing at the end.